Working under the direction of project management and according to clear guidelines, provide field support for proposals, specifications, construction administration, and assessments. Work includes recording measurements, observing construction work in progress, making and repairing investigative openings in building construction, taking photographs, etc. Work is typically performed on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Collect field data for use in various aspects of consulting/engineering services, such as proposals, specifications and assessments. Field data may consist of photographs,
roof plans, general notes including construction type, and details of existing conditions. Data collection is done under the general guidance of a project manager.
• Perform monitoring during construction projects to ensure that contractors do work according to specifications provided by engineers. Note discrepancies and report
them to the engineering project manager or a more senior person for resolution. Document observations in a written report, which is reviewed by a project manager
and then distributed to the client, contractor, and other parties.
• Assist with assessments and investigations. Duties may include assembly of testing apparatuses, performing and repairing destructive openings in roofing and wall
systems, performing water testing, carrying tools/ladders, and other physical tasks.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
Skills + Knowledge:
• Have working knowledge of materials and installation processes used in roofing, wall and other envelope assemblies.
• Ability to understand project specifications, submittals, and other documentation, identify discrepancies between actual construction and project requirements, and
articulate these discrepancies both verbally and in written reports.
• Have working knowledge of equipment used in assessments and investigations, including an infrared camera, electrical capacitance meters, water testing units, etc.
• Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
• (Microsoft) Word processing, spreadsheet, and general computer skills.
Education + Training:
• High school graduate.
• Formal technical program or equivalent experience.
• Has or working toward Registered Observer certification(s).
• Two (2) or more years of relevant experience, preferably with a consulting and/or engineering firm. Formal technical program in a relevant field or relevant certifications
may count towards experience.
Physical + Environmental Demands:
• Sufficient physical ability to perform moderate lifting (approximately 50 pounds maximum).
• Ability to stand or walk for extended periods of time.
• Ability to climb a ladder.